Home » Rhetorical Analysis Reflection

Rhetorical Analysis Reflection

MD Miah

Writing for Engineering

Professor Von Uhl

March 24, 2021

Rhetorical Analysis Reflection

Having the experience necessary to write a berth of papers while maintaining good quality is very important. However, I will admit this was the first time I have analyzed a lab report and I did have some difficulties. My peers may or may not have had the same difficulties which are dependent on their knowledge in writing this type of paper. This paper was written so that the readers may have some background knowledge on a certain topic. In my case, this topic was the correlation between nicotine withdrawal, depression, and the use of different types of cigarettes. I chose this topic because of its relevance in our world and to educate others who may have questions about this problem. Furthermore, it can be used as a reference when writing a lab report as it can help identify what not to do. All in all this lab report analysis will help me complete similar assignments in the future, as well as help me write my lab reports.

The audience for this lab report analysis is most evidently the professor, my classmates, or anyone else who happens to come across it. For this reason, I made sure to make the lab report clear and concise for all audiences. With this in mind, I also made sure to highlight the problems with the lab report I was analyzing, such as its lack of explanation. As for the genre of this paper, it is an analysis of a non-fiction scientific report. The lab report that I chose collected data using cross-sectional surveys and computer programs to organize all the information gathered. Furthermore, it featured statistics in the form of percentages and visual explanations such as graphs. The authors of the lab report included these to aid the reader in understanding the difference between the hypothesis and the actual results. This also helps with the purpose of this lab report which is to research depression and its relationship with combustible and electronic cigarettes. The authors used a very informative tone in this lab report, reciting all the processes and methods used, as well as the information they received as a result of this experiment. The author’s reasoning for writing this lab report is to be the first step of finding solutions to help vulnerable people suffering from the effects of nicotine and depression. Once again, I chose this article because of its relevance to the world today and also how interesting this topic turned out to be. 

Besides what the author wrote, I would like to share my own experiences and difficulties while writing this paper. The main difficulty I faced while writing this analysis was the lack of experience when it comes to this sort of assignment. As mentioned in the introduction, I have not previously analyzed a lab report, therefore this being my first time, I faced several difficulties especially when it comes to the organization and how to proceed in writing certain paragraphs. This did hinder my ability to write this analysis since I did not know how to proceed to structure this type of paper. However, after looking at the textbook chapter 19 and taking time in reading various other lab reports, I quickly went back on track. This assignment influenced my ability to use online databases and online sources as they were the main source of help I had in writing this analysis. I made sure to cite the various sources I used, as well as the lab report I chose for this assignment. I also attempted to appropriately analyze the lab report I chose and make sure to have an easily understandable structure for my paragraphs. Overall, I believe I put in great effort in writing this analysis as I followed the prompt, inspected every section of the lab report, and pointed out what the authors could have done better. In conclusion, while this was the first time I wrote an analysis of a lab report, I believe this will help me for similar assignments in the future.